Look Alive

03 February 2012

A Children's Story

"... there is no religion without love, and people may talk as much as they like about their religion, but if it does not teach them to be good and kind to man and beast, it is all a sham. ..." 
I missed an important call this afternoon. A loved one wanted to tell me about a book she'd read and wanted my feedback on. Eventually noticing her e-mailed follow up, I didn't feel too badly about my delayed response, because the book didn't exist to me and my unfounded opinion might not have been helpful. Besides, my godson had commissioned my time straight through the night with episodes of "Adventure Time" and "Good Luck Charlie" and  a DVD of the neo-rock 'em, sock 'em robot film "Real Steel". I would've preferred to see how the box office newbie, "Chronicle", picked up on the power-hungry "Jennifer's Body" antagonists' misguided allegiance with a harmful, dark place, but I obliged. These are important years and we've been good about weathering the occasionally awkward or challenging to find the golden, by any means.

As it turned out, "Real Steel" wasn't all that bad. The kid's got taste! Well, his dear mom isn't a goat so he's not a kid per se, but the young man's choice proved pretty cool all the same. Amidst almost two hours of heavy metal punches (unfortunately against animals at first!), aimless buying and selling on the road to learning true value, Anthony Mackie's smile and requests to later explore "Ripley's Believe It or Not" footage, his company was no terror but enjoyed with the steadfast nature of the mare on this night. There are times to alert and snatch people from the proverbial fire just as there are times to gently approach what is contrary if need be. In this case, it was a blessing to look beyond his healthy curiosity, answer or encourage what questions I could and see the best in him: a strong investigative ability developing along with a heart of compassion. Lord knows I've got idiosyncracies of my own. May God look past these in all His children to see the best in us as we grow to fit the Vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment